The Falcon's Nest

The Student News Site of Fords Middle School

The Falcon's Nest

The Falcon's Nest

An opportunity for mindfulness at the Self-Care Fair

FMS students had a unique opportunity to indulge in some self-care on Friday, May 10 in the FMS cafetorium at the Self-Care Fair.  The DEI Committee hosted this special event designed to encourage mindfulness and teach students some simple techniques for stress relief.

Ms. Mankoski, 7th grade Science teacher, led group yoga classes to introduce basic techniques and share the benefits of this ancient practice.  Students explored body movement and breathing exercises with a goal of bringing peace and harmony to the mind and soul.

8th Grade DEI Committee members taught students about the health benefits of mindfulness and guided several activities designed to promote relaxation and calm.  Aafiya G, one of the committee members responsible for organizing the event, commented, “I like how we were able to relax the kids’ minds through all of these activities and I hope that FMS will be able to continue this event in the future so that students will be able to feel like they can express themselves more and decrease stress.”

Herbal teas and cucumber water were served, along with cookie decorating kits that allowed students to express their creativity through food.  7th Grader Silas D attended the event with several friends.  When asked how he felt about the afternoon’s festivities, he said, “I felt like it went well and I did have a lot of fun.  It was pretty relaxing.  I did enjoy the part where we got to decorate the cookies, because then I got to eat!”

The Self-Care Fair proved to be a successful event that renewed the minds and bodies of FMS students.