The Falcon's Nest

The Student News Site of Fords Middle School

The Falcon's Nest

The Falcon's Nest

Heroes & Cool Kids

Heroes & Cool Kids

Let your mind rewind back to fourth grade, when recess still existed and snack time was the best time of day.  Do you remember those middle schoolers who visited your classroom to teach you lessons about kindness and getting along?  Now think about sixth grade, when block scheduling became your new routine and lunch was your only chance to let loose all day.  Do you remember those high schoolers who visited your homeroom to talk about respect and hard work? Those groups of students were none other than Heroes and Cool Kids, a collection of trained mentors on a mission to help younger students become their best selves.  

Heroes and Cool Kids is a group here at Fords Middle School comprised of the most dedicated eighth grade student leaders who have proven themselves to be well-behaved, resilient, and respectful.  Becoming a member means possessing a strong work ethic, maintaining good grades, and being recommended by teachers to join the program. 

FMS Heroes and Cool Kids members travel to the different elementary schools in the district and teach younger fourth grade students simple lessons such as being nice to others, setting goals, and making good decisions. The students make three visits throughout the year and they stay with the same class during that period. The Heroes and Cook Kids teach in groups of four, although some are in groups of three. The fourth graders also receive a question box created by the Heroes and Cool Kids, where younger students are encouraged to write questions anonymously about anything such as the lessons taught or what life is like in middle school. 

While learning more about Heroes and Cool Kids, I also had the opportunity to ask a few students what they thought of the program. Eighth grader Declan D said, ”It was so good and fun! My favorite part was when the kids asked questions and I had to explain it to them in a way they would understand. I wasn’t really surprised when I got in because I was told last year I’d be recommended.” 

Vineeth K said,”If I was given the opportunity to do this in high school, I would take it 100% since I felt good teaching the younger kids and I was able to learn a thing or two myself. All I have to say is this: if you want to have amazing knowledge and be able to communicate well with others, this is the program.  All it really takes is motivation to get into Heroes and Cool Kids.”

As an eighth grader, I am also a member and I agree that the experience was incredibly fun. It feels good to be able to teach and have the younger kids look up to you. I also know some students were assigned to go to their old elementary schools, which definitely made them happy. At first, I was debating whether to join, but I’m glad that I did. I was a little sad after the final visit this year, but I don’t have any regrets. Heroes and Cool Kids is a wonderfully beneficial program and in the end, I am honored to have had this opportunity.